Search This Blog

Sunday, 15 October 2017

Fortification (Terrain)

You know how it is: whilst sorting out the recycling you happen across something that just says 'make me'.  Kind of sick when I think about it some more.  Be that as it may, in a matter of a couple of hours we've gone from trash to something that's promising to be treasure.

Behold, a fortification type thing!!!

The end result took a few successive attempts at painting to get it right-ish.  I hand mixed various shades of grey and applied them over a mat black undercoat in an attempt to create a little more depth via shadows etc.  I've got some ideas for adding a little more character to the building e.g., some "Zone 16" type things, but that can wait for the moment.

"Nice Echidna, dinner is on its way, just calm down" 

"Jimbo, maybe we should just leave the tin can to it..."

"Where the hell did that green thing come from?  Bloody weeds!"



A little more detail added including firing slits along three of the building's sides (using slotted bases); studs on the roof's barriers (glued on some craft things raided from Harriet's craft supplies); a hatch (flying base + bits) and some detail around the airlock (including some light-type bumper bar from one of Charlie's broken matchbox cars).

A work-in-progress shot pre-roof hatch and other bits and bobs.PS those figures in the shot are 28mm.


Some of the building process.  The roof-top's floor (in yellow) was a bit of textured plastic sold by Safeway as a cutting board.  The bulk of the building was (I think) once held ANZAC biscuits.  The airlock was screw-in plug.  The firing platform was made from card and the eight barriers were excess bits from a deck I built - plenty more where they came from (unfortunately, because they were bloody expensive!)

No comments:

Post a Comment